The West Virginia baseball team’s Big 12 Tournament run ended at the championship game on Sunday afternoon, falling to Oklahoma State, 5-2.

Mountaineer left-hander Nick Snyder was limited to three innings of work after short rest although only surrendering a lone hit and striking out seven Cowboys in three innings.

Darius Hill got the bats going for No. 4 seed West Virginia in the top of the first inning with a single to left.

Brandon White then grounded into a double play to plate TJ Lake for the first Mountaineer run of the day in the third.

Right-hander Madison Jeffrey relieved Snyder in the fourth inning. Oklahoma State managed to load the bases before WVU allowed all three baserunners to come around for the 3-1 Oklahoma State advantage in the fifth.  

Oklahoma State right-hander Brett Standlee tossed a gem for the Cowboys after pitching seven innings of seven hit baseball, allowing one earned run while striking out three Mountaineers.

A two out Colin Simpson walk allowed Jake Taylor to stroll home to knot the score at one run apiece before Andrew Navigato doubled to left to score Hueston Morrill and Christian Funk for the two-run lead.

Following No. 3 seed Oklahoma State’s three run inning, the Mountaineers didn’t threaten to score until the eighth when Tyler Doanes singled and White walked to put the first two runners on base. The next batter, Hill, grounded into a double play before Marques Inman sent a flyball out to right field to end the threat.

The bottom half of the eighth saw the Cowboys add another pair of runs to their margin as Carson McCusker singled to center field to plate Navigato. The next batter, Alix Garcia, slapped a base hit through the left side to plate McCusker for the 5-1 lead.

West Virginia’s attempt at a comeback in the ninth — a Kevin Brophy groundout which brought home McIntosh — wasn’t enough for West Virginia.

The Big 12 Championship Game loss marks the second in four years for the Mountaineers following a 2016 defeat at the hands of TCU, 11-10 in 10 innings.

West Virginia will wait to hear their name announced at the 2019 NCAA Championship Selection Show on Monday at noon which will be broadcasted on ESPNU.