During a busy athletic season, it often seems like there is no time for anything else. For the West Virginia University rowing team, they still manage to find time to give back to the community of Morgantown, no matter what the cause may be.

WVU had a short period of time off before its novice team took on a tough matchup Saturday morning. The team took advantage of their opportunities and made an immediate impact.  The Mountaineers took the time to make a difference around a community that truly needs it.

Last Saturday, the team hosted the local Girl Scouts for a great chance to learn the basics of the sport. The Mountaineers led the scouts through many team-involved activities.

The scouts got a chance to sit and learn in the boat and they definitely got a workout by sitting alongside members and coaches of the team to learn how to row properly.

This was a great way for the Mountaineers to introduce the sport to young girls interested in learning it in a fun, hands-on way.

Another way the team gave back to Morgantown was working alongside the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Friday night, the Mountaineers kicked off the Halloween season by attending a local Halloween party hosted by Make-A-Wish.

On Saturday morning, the Mountaineers yet again made an appearance to show how important it is for them to give back to the area. This time, the novice and coxswain team went to Hazel Ruby McQuain Park to participate in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5-kilometer walk and run.

The event supports the American Cancer Society’s mission to fight cancer through research, education, advocacy and patient services.

It is an incredible and inspiring opportunity to honor those who have battled breast cancer, raise awareness about what we can do to reduce our breast cancer risk and raise money to help the American Cancer Society. It is important to honor and be aware of the effects of breast cancer not just in the month of October, but all of the time.

Along with the community events, the team also remembered the alumni who have made an impact on the organization by hosting an annual Alumnae Row. The team brought back 12 teammates to get another chance to race in their home water. This was a great way to honor the members and coaches who have made a difference for the team in the past and the ones who have made a long-term impact.