The No. 17 West Virginia Mountaineers clinched their weekend series against Texas on Saturday with a 9-8 win.

Texas (24-21, 5-11 Big 12) opened the scoring in the first inning with a single from Ryan Reynolds which scored Masen Hibbeler, but the lead would be short-lived as the Mountaineers responded in the third inning.

A Brandon White single in the third scored Tevin Tucker to the tie the game, and then with the bases loaded, a two-RBI single from Ivan Gonzalez gave West Virginia a 3-1 lead.

The Longhorns responded in the bottom of the inning with a single from Zach Zubia, which cut the deficit to one, but WVU (26-14, 10-7 Big 12) added two more runs in the fourth inning to extend its lead.

After allowing three hits and two runs through four innings pitched, WVU starting pitcher Jackson Wolf was replaced by Dillon Meadows to begin the fifth inning.

The Longhorns took advantage of the pitching change by having three hits and three runs in the fifth inning, including two home runs.

Meadows allowed a Hibbeler home run early in the inning, and then a two-run homer from Zubia, which tied the game at 5-5.

The Mountaineers answered in the sixth inning after a groundout from Brandon White scored Phillip Dull.

After swapping runs in the seventh and eighth innings, the Mountaineers took a 9-8 lead in the top of the ninth that the Longhorns were unable to overcome.

The series concludes Sunday with a 1 p.m. first pitch.