The West Virginia (6-3-1, 1-0 Big 12) women’s soccer team started Big 12 play with an impressive 2-0 victory over the Iowa State Cyclones (3-7-0, 0-1) on Friday night. 

With the win, WVU improves to 7-0-1 all time in Big 12 Conference season openers.

It didn’t take the Mountaineers long to get on the board as senior midfielder Jessica Lisi scored her second goal of the season at the nine-minute mark with an assist from Jade Gentile. Less than 20 minutes later, junior midfielder Stefany Ferrer-vanGinkel scored her first goal of the season with an assist by Lizzie Mayfield. 

It was a defensive battle for most of the night with West Virginia only totaling 14 shots with eight on goal. Iowa State amounted 11 total shots with only three on goal. 

Head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown says starting off conference play with a victory gives the Mountaineers a significant boost. 

“Momentum and confidence are everything,” said Izzo-Brown. “I know they were really hunting for this win so for that to pay off is huge.” 

West Virginia doesn’t have another match until Oct. 3 when it travels to Waco, Texas, to face the Baylor Bears. Three days later, the Mountaineers play the Texas Longhorns in Austin. 

Izzo-Brown is excited for the two games, but she knows the Mountaineers need to really prepare for both obstacles. 

“Baylor and Texas, obviously two very tough teams,” Izzo-Brown said. “We need to bunker down and get ready for two tough road games.”

Next week’s match against Baylor kicks off at 8 p.m. for West Virginia.