Forward Lauren Segalla attempts to cross the ball into the box during a game against Xavier.

Despite starting off fast prior to conference play last season, the WVU women's soccer team have been unable to match their success of old.

Currently, they sit in an unfamiliar position— owning a record of 2-2-3—with only two games to go before Big 12 Conference play begins.

On Thursday, Boston University will travel to Morgantown. The last time the Terriers and Mountaineers met was in 2009, when the two squads fought to a 0-0 draw.

The Terriers are presently sitting at 1-6-1—last in the Patriot League.

“I know they have a dynamic three-front," WVU head coach Nikki Izzo-Brown. "Nancy [Feldman, BU head coach] has been around forever, like me, and that’s a good thing. She’s a very organized, very disciplined coach. I know that BU is going to come out flying.”

After that, the Mountaineers will matchup on Sunday with St. Francis of Pennsylvania. In 2016, the teams faced off with WVU, taking the match by a 3-1 score.

With a 2-4-2 record, the Red Storm sits at third in the Northeast Conference.

While the success of the upcoming opponents may not seem eye-opening, Izzo-Brown wants to use this time to focus on the fundamentals.

“We want to control getting better, whether it’s one pass at a time, one shot at a time or one defensive movement at a time,” Izzo-Brown said. “Being at home and having the opportunity to have our fans here is great, but we’ve recognized the fact that we’re hunting a win, and we know we have to be a little better every day to get that win.”

The upcoming home stretch comes off of a win at Clemson, where strong offensive efforts were put forth by senior forward Hannah Abraham and sophomore midfielder Stefany Ferrer-VanGinkel.

While the Mountaineers have won two of their last three matches, they are currently the third worst overall team in the Big 12.

“I think getting these two wins at home this weekend will propel us forward for our first weekend in the Big 12,” Abraham said.