WVU Gymnastics will move forward after a tough performance against Pittsburgh to face what could be called it’s biggest challenge of the season when No. 1 Oklahoma visits Morgantown on Saturday evening.

West Virginia currently stands with a 1-1 record while Oklahoma is 2-0 heading into conference matches. Oklahoma is also the defending Big 12 champion and national champion, and the Sooners finished their previous season with a near perfect record.

This will be the first home meet for the Mountaineers, and head coach Jason Butts is optimistic about the team’s chances against number one.

“We’re going to give them [Oklahoma] a run for their money, the team has been practicing great this week,” Butts said. “ We’d love to upset them, but I encourage fans to come on out, it’s going to be a good show.”

Three Mountaineer gymnasts are currently ranked nationally in various events: Kirah Koshinski ranks 16th in vault and 26th in floor exercise; Jordan Gillette holds a top ten spot in balance beam (7th); and Zaakira Muhammad ranks 32nd in vault.

The challenge for West Virginia will definitely be evident as Oklahoma ranks first in beam, floor and bars, and stands at third in vault. However, the Mountaineers are up for the challenge as they begin their quest for a Big 12 title.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.