football fans

Rain didn't stop WVU students from celebrating at Saturday's football game against Youngstown State.

Update: The game was canceled on Sept. 11.

The West Virginia University football team’s game at NC State scheduled on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. could be cancelled, postponed or relocated due to Hurricane Florence.

Florence, a category 1 hurricane in the Atlantic Ocean with a maximum sustained wind spend of 85 mph on Sunday, is projected to make landfall in Wilmington, North Carolina on Thursday as a possible category 4 storm, according to the National Hurricane Center

The storm has a potential track area in North Carolina, South Carolina, most of Virginia and the southern part of West Virginia, according to a NHC map.

North Carolina State University posted a press release Sunday regarding the storm.

“Specific to the NC State vs. West Virginia football game on Sat., Sept. 15, NC State Athletics is in regular communication with representatives of West Virginia Athletics, the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), meteorologists, and regional emergency management services,” the release said. “The Mountaineers’ ability to safely travel to Raleigh on Friday as planned will be one of a number of considerations this week.”

Neither the Mountaineers nor the Wolfpack have a mutual bye week for the remainder of the season. There is the possibility that the game could be rescheduled for December 1 if neither team is eligible for their conference championship games.

If the game is relocated from Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, two stadiums closest to Morgantown and Raleigh without a prior commitment or aren’t in the storm’s path this weekend are Ohio Stadium in Columbus and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.

The home-and-home series with NC State was scheduled back in July 2014. Both teams are scheduled to meet in Raleigh on Saturday and in Morgantown on Sept. 14, 2019. If Saturday’s game is cancelled due to Hurricane Florence, WVU and NC State will not have a mutual non-conference schedule opening until 2025.