stefany ferrer-vanginkel rutgers

Nov. 17, 2017; Stefany Ferrer-Vanginkel attempts a penalty kick against Rutgers

In their first Big 12 Conference battle this season, the WVU women’s soccer team defeated the No. 22 Texas Tech Red Raiders, 2-0.

The first—and ultimately, winning—goal of the match came at the beginning of the second half as senior forward Nadya Gill was able to find sophomore forward Lauren Segalla for a score. The score came just after the halftime break in the game’s 47th minute after an uneventful first half.

In the 64th minute, the Mountaineers (5-2-3, 1-0 Big 12) were able to add an insurance score off of the foot of sophomore midfielder Stefany Ferrer-VanGinkel, who was able to successfully convert a penalty kick. The goal resulted in the Mountaineers becoming the first team to score two goals against Texas Tech this season.

As the clock ticked down in the second half, Texas Tech (8-2, 0-1) was unable to right the ship and could not match the Mountaineers. This was the first loss for the Red Raiders since September 1 at Boston College.

Outside of the two goal scorers for WVU, the Mountaineers received solid contributions for a handful of players. Senior forward Hannah Abraham led the team in shots with three, helping to keep the pressure on the Red Raider defense all night long.

Despite that, the Mountaineers only totaled for nine shots over the whole match--the lowest amount they’ve had all season.

Defensively, junior goalkeeper Rylee Foster and the rest of the WVU defense held Texas Tech to only seven shots—zero of which were on goal.

In the match, there was also an abundance of penalties for both sides. Each team received three yellow cards. There were no red cards or ejections.

On Sunday, WVU will travel to Fort Worth, Texas to take on the TCU Horned Frogs in the Mountaineer’s second Big 12 test of the season.