LAWRENCE, KANSAS — The West Virginia football team has now beaten the Kansas Jayhawks in six straight matchups.

In Saturday’s game at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, the Mountaineers emerged with a 29-24 victory in an affair that featured back-and-forth scoring between the two teams.

West Virginia (3-1, 1-0 Big 12) was able to get on the board first when Kennedy McKoy rushed into the endzone untouched for the 7-0 lead. The score came on the Mountaineers’ first offensive drive of the game.

Minutes into the second quarter, Kansas wide receiver Kwamie Lassiter, after hauling in a pass from quarterback Carter Stanley, was able to weave through the West Virginia defense for a 28-yard touchdown.

On the corresponding WVU drive, moments after turning the ball over on downs, the West Virginia defense was able to force Kansas to fumble the football at their own 45 yard line. Linebacker Josh Chandler recovered the fumble after Dante Stills was able to knock it from the hands of Stanley. 

Fortunately for the Jayhawks, the Mountaineers were unable to capitalize as West Virginia kicker Evan Staley missed from 42 yards out, leaving the score tied at 7-7.

In the waning seconds of the first half, however, Staley was able to redeem himself by converting a 37-yard attempt that bounced off of the right upright and through. The Mountaineers headed to the locker room at halftime holding on to a 10-7 lead.

On their first drive of the second half, the Mountaineers were able to extend their lead when Martell Pettaway crossed the goal line for a 23-yard touchdown run. 

Kansas (2-2, 0-1) kicker Liam Jones was able to get on the board with just over six minutes remaining in the third quarter as he added a successful field goal attempt from 23 yards out, narrowing the West Virginia lead to 17-10.

On the ensuing drive, after a penalty on the Kansas kickoff, the West Virginia offense took over at the Kansas 31 yard line. The Mountaineers went three-and-out, with the drive ending in a 44-yard field goal from Staley. 

Starting the next offensive possession on their own 25 yard line, the Jayhawks were able to get back on the board after Stanley found wide receiver Andrew Parchment for a 75-yard touchdown on the first play of the drive.

Staley was able to add another field goal with 12:35 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Despite an interception from WVU defensive back Keith Washington, the Mountaineers could not put away the Jayhawks’ offense until the very end.

After Pettaway rushed for his second score of the game, the ensuing drive from Kansas culminated in a 3-yard touchdown pass from Stanley to Parchment. After a failed two-point conversion, the Mountaineers held a 29-25 lead. 

The Jayhawks, then within striking distance, opted for some trickery on the last play of the game. Despite a few laterals, Kansas was unable to cover the 52 yards needed for a game winning touchdown.

The Mountaineers are on a bye next week. They will play in their next game on Oct. 5 against Texas at Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown, West Virginia.