wvu arkansas score

The ninth-ranked West Virginia women’s soccer team tied with Arkansas, 1-1, on Sunday afternoon in State College, Pennsylvania.

Arkansas opened the scoring in the 16th minute on a Stefani Doyle’s first goal of the season. A diving Rylee Foster could not get a hand on the ball as it got past her and found the back of the net to give Arkansas the lead.

"I really saw a lot of character from this team this weekend, especially after going down a goal today. We didn't give up,” said head coach Nikki Izzo- Brown. "I got to see a lot of different players out on the field this weekend, and that's going to be good for this team as we move forward this season. We have a lot to evaluate, and we have areas to improve.”

WVU’s goal came in the second half in the 60th minute off of a penalty kick. West Virginia won a corner kick and Arkansas committed a foul in the box. Senior defender Bianca St. Georges stepped up to the spot and scored in the bottom left corner to pull the Mountaineers level.

In what was a physical game all 90 minutes, the intensity in the second half was ramped up. There were a total of 24 fouls all game and half of them came in the second half. There were five yellow cards handed out and one red card shown in the second half alone.

Sh’Nia Gordon was shown a red card in the 87th minute and this is her first career red card. The Mountaineers had to play the two 10-minute extra-time periods down a player. For WVU, it is the team’s first red card since the 2014 season.

That could be looked at as a positive for WVU. Even with Gordon being shown red and West Virginia a player down, it was still able to muster a draw. West Virginia was applying pressure all afternoon long but could only come up with one goal on the score line. WVU outshot the Razorbacks by 10 shots, 24-14, and had half of their shots on goal. Starting Arkansas keeper Rachel Harris was taken off due to injury in the 97’, but she was tested the entire time she was in the game, making nine saves.

The Mountaineers return to the pitch on Friday to play Big Ten power Purdue on the road. WVU is 3-1-1 all-time against the Boilermakers, last beating them 2-0 in Morgantown on September 1, 2016.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.