Cross Country Louisville

The WVU Cross Country team ended a three-week hiatus on Saturday and finished eighth overall at the Greater Louisville Classic in Louisville, Kentucky.

"This was a huge test for our program," said WVU head coach Sean Cleary in an interview with WVUsports.com. "We had almost the entire group on the line and emerged with what I would consider a good performance. While we won't leave this course ecstatic, we will leave with the understanding that we ran well but must get better."

Senior Maggie Drazba finished 21st overall with a time of 17:09 and senior Amy Cashin (17:17) came in just right behind Drazba to place 29th.

Freshmen Sarah Wills (17:38) and Hayley Jackson (17:46) finished 63rd and 80th overall, respectively.

Sophomore Candace Jones rounded out WVU’s 269 team score, earning 84th overall with a time of (17:47).

Sophomore Olivia Hill (18:11), freshmen Bree Warren (18:31) and Antigone Archer (18:46), and senior Rebecca Wendt (19:30) also competed for the Mountaineers in Louisville.

Saturday marked the first career appearances for both Jackson and Warren.

"This was a big learning experience for many of our younger kids," Cleary said. "Lining up with 300-plus runners can be intimidating. I felt we handled the size well. The bottom line is we have a month to become better and we believe we will."

WVU came into Saturday’s meet sitting just outside the USTFCCCA's Division I National Coaches' Poll, just 11 votes away from the top 30.

Boise State, who is No. 13 in the country, captured the victory at the Classic, with No. 18 Wisconsin and No. 29 Furman taking second and third, respectively.

The course WVU ran today in Louisville will be the site of the NCAA Championships on Nov. 18.

The Mountaineers’ next and final regular season meet will take place in State College, Pennsylvania at the Penn State National Open on Oct. 13.