game face wvu sru hockey

Jan. 19, 2018; Ryan Zujkowski (13), Vincent Fornes (10) and Cullen Gookin (24) get ready for a face off

As the season is wrapping up, WVU looks to send its seniors out with a win against Slippery Rock in Morgantown.

So far this season, the Mountaineers have played hard, but it hasn’t been good enough, accumulating a record of 3-6-2 and only eight points so far in conference play. They sit tied for last place with Duquesne.

“We have been playing in competitive games,” said WVU head coach A.J. Sturges. “We are a very different team than when we started.”

Players have been stepping up into roles for the team this season.

The Mountaineers have scored an average of 3.64 goals per game, but they are giving up more than they are scoring, allowing with 4.05 goals per game. Goalie Ryan Wickiser has started the most for WVU and has a record of 4-6-2 and goals against average of 3.62.

Both goalies have been strong for the Mountaineers this season. Goalie Benjamin Zienty has played 600 minutes and has a record of 5-4-1 with a goals against average of 3.90. Coach Sturges said both goalies have played excellent, especially in tight games.

For Slippery Rock, the team sits in the middle of the College Hockey Mid-America (CHMA) standings at 6-5-0. A player that stands out for Slippery Rock is forward Christian Miller, who has played in 28 games and has scored 20 goals while assisting on 14 others, giving him 34 points on the season.

SRU’s goalie Jared Robbins has also played well this season and has racked an 8-2-0 record with a goals against average of 3.19.

For WVU, the highest goal scorer for the team has been Eli Rivers, who has scored 13 goals in 14 games played this season. WVU has also played competitively with a lot of the teams they played against.

“The momentum is good,” Sturges said. “It is a good thing to have a lot of confidence.”

After Friday’s game the Mountaineers have a quick turnaround as they will face Mercyhurst at the Mercyhurst Ice Center on Saturday. With two conference games back-to-back this late in the season, the Mountaineers will look to gain valuable points for their postseason run.

The puck will drop at 9:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday’s game will begin at 8 p.m.