christian montserrat sdsu

Feb. 11, 2018; Christian Montserrat during West Virginia's dual with South Dakota State

The Mountaineers finish strong but their middle of the lineup struggles continued in their regular season finale against South Dakota State, losing 22-19.

Matthew Schmitt started the match off strong for the Mountaineers with a major decision in the first bout of the day, to give the team an early 4-0 lead. But South Dakota State answered fast with a win by decision in the next bout bringing the score within one.

The biggest bout going into the match was the 149-pound weight class between No. 16 Christian Monserrat and No. 17 Henry Pohlmeyer. Monserrat won by a 5-1 decision giving the Mountaineers a 7-3 lead after three.

After Monserrat’s big win, the Mountaineers fell flat losing their next four bouts including a major decision and two pins. Giving the Jackrabbits a commanding 22-7 lead.

Redshirt Freshman, Noah Adams wrestling on his birthday was able to pick up the first win since the third bout of the match with a major decision over Martin Mueller to bring the score to 22-11 with two bouts remaining.

Following Noah Adams, Brandon Ngati was able to pick up a huge win by decision over Blake Wolters. but it was too little too late with one bout remaining and still trailing by eight points, 22-14.

Devin Brown was the last wrestler of the night for the Mountaineers. Trailing by eight points Brown did his best and picked up an 18-3 tech fall, which is worth the most points. But it was still not enough as the Mountaineers lose 22-19.

Looking ahead, the team has just under two weeks before they have to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma for the Big 12 Tournament. Following the tournament, a couple Mountaineers could have a shot to compete for a national title two weeks later in Pittsburgh.

For the rest of the team, the season will end at the Big 12 Tournament, following a rough first season for new head coach Tim Flynn. Although the season ended with a 4-14 record in duals, the team had a lot of young guys show that they can be a very good team in the upcoming years.