wvu kansas score

Despite trailing 2-1 after three sets, the WVU volleyball team rallied back with two set wins to upset No. 14 Kansas, 3-2.

After the Jayhawks (22-7, 11-5 Big 12) won two of the first three sets by five points, the Mountaineers kicked it into high gear to clinch their first win overĀ  a ranked team this season.

In the fourth set, finished the match on a 4-0 scoring run to win it, 25-22, and force a winner-take-all fifth set, which the Mountaineers (18-12, 6-10) also won on a late scoring run, 15-12.

The win gives West Virginia their best season since 2013.

"It was a great week for us," WVU coach Reed Sunahara said. "Kansas is a top-15 team, and it was a great test for us to overcome adversity. I'm so proud of the way we battled. They just never gave up. It was unbelievable. To have the seniors go out with a win like today, I couldn't have asked for anything better."

Payton Caffrey led WVU offensively with 28 kills, 13 digs and three service aces.

The Mountaineers will wait until Sunday to see if they will be invited to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).