XC1

In a rather underwhelming encore to last week’s Leigh Invitational, the WVU cross country team placed sixth in the 2017 Spiked Shoe Invitational at Penn State on Friday.

Penn State won the Invitational on its home course for a sixth straight year. Georgetown finished in second, followed by Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Bucknell. Edinboro was the only school to place behind WVU.

Senior Amy Cashin followed up her second-place finish from Lehigh, earning 12th overall with a time of 21:49 to lead the way for the Mountaineers.

Sophomore Olivia Hill was the second Mountaineer to cross the line, finishing 24th overall with a time of 22:17.

Freshmen Sarah Wills (22:22) and Antigone Archer (22:48) placed 26th and 38th, respectively. Sophomore Andrea Petit (27:41) finished 85th .

Penn State Senior Jillian Hunsberger captured first overall with a time of 21:07.

After the race, head coach Sean Cleary stayed optimistic about his team.

"Cross country is a unique sport in that rarely does the first week of September resemble what the team looks like in November," Cleary said in an interview with WVUsports.com. "I believe we will be much improved in a month."

It should be noted that standout seniors Maggie Drazba and Jill Forsey did not participate in this week’s meet. Drazba won last week’s Lehigh Invitational, while Forsey has yet to compete in 2017.

WVU will get a couple weeks off until their next meet on Sept. 30 in Louisville, Kentucky, for the Greater Louisville Classic.