Women's Soccer vs Duquesne

Sh'nia Gordon accelerates past a Duquesne defender.

Coming off of a win against Texas Tech, the WVU women’s soccer team defeated TCU, 2-0 on Sunday. The Mountaineers are now 2-0 to start Big 12 play for the first time since 2016.

The day was pretty much all in favor of the Mountaineers (6-2-3, 2-0) after senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon scored 25 seconds in to the match—the fastest goal scored in team history.

An insurance score was added by Barcelona, Spain native Stefany Ferrer-VanGinkel during the 73rd minute. The sophomore midfielder was able to reach the back of the net for her second goal in as many games.

“With the quick turnaround and being on the road, our team showed huge character,” WVU head soccer coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “We had every reason not to win this game. TCU is a tough team. For us to come in here and walk away with a 2-0 victory speaks a lot about this team’s character.”

However, it wasn’t an all offense battle. Due to the aggression by the Mountaineer defense, the Horned Frogs (7-2-2, 0-1-1) were unable to effectively challenge the WVU net. TCU was only able to get off five shots for the entire match.

Holding TCU scoreless, the Mountaineers secured their fifth straight shutout. Junior goalkeeper Rylee Foster has been in the net for each of those results.

“Our defense has found its rhythm. It’s a total team effort, and you defend as a unit, and this unit wanted to come out, play tight and eliminate shots,” Izzo-Brown said. “We only gave up one shot on-goal to two top-25 teams, and that’s incredible.”

Gordon led the team in shots with five. Freshman midfielder Addison Clark added in three, while Ferrer-VanGinkel and senior forward Hannah Abraham each had two. The team totaled 16 shots for the entire match.

This is the tenth match of the season in which the Mountaineer offense was able to get off double digit shot totals.

Up next, the Kansas State Wildcats travel to Morgantown on Friday. The last time the two teams met, WVU won by a 1-0 final score.