Wrestling

Brandon Ngati squares up against his opponent from North Dakota State during a heavyweight bout.

Following two straight losses, the West Virginia University wrestling team looks to clash against a couple of Big 12 affiliates in the state of Colorado.

Air Force Academy

The Mountaineers (3-5, 2-3 Big 12) look to with the Air Force Academy in Colorado on Feb. 2.

Air Force (6-4, 1-1) will welcome the Mountaineers to Clune Arena at 9 p.m. The Falcons are coming off a big third place finish in the All Academy Championships; they faced off against other branches of the US Military, including Navy, Army, The Citadel, Coast Guard, VMI, Merchant Marines, and Norwich University.

On the Mountaineers’ side, after succumbing to back-to-back losses against Oklahoma State and Iowa State, the team is searching for a positive rebound.

This weekend is the first time that Air Force and West Virginia have faced off, and the match will be streamed on FloWrestling.com for paying subscribers.

Northern Colorado

While in Colorado, WVU will also make a stop in Greeley to face Northern Colorado. The Bears (2-7, 1-2) will be a much more evenly matched meeting for the Mountaineers, as both teams have similar records thus far. This is the first time the two teams have met since the addition of the Big 12. Now, on Feb. 3, the Mountaineers will face a more familiar opponent in the Northern Colorado Bears.

Prior to Saturday, the Mountaineers and Bears met in 2013. The Mountaineers won the Hoosier Duals 35-4. Now, with two entirely new teams, the playing field has been evened.

This will be the Mountaineers’ sixth away match of the 2017-18 season, but redshirt junior Mountaineer Zeke Moisey said that it doesn’t matter where the match is, as long as the team’s committed to the win.

"It doesn’t matter to me whether the match is home or away," he said. "Once that whistle blows, it’s just me and the other kid. All surrounding context doesn’t really matter anymore."

The Mountaineers and Bears will begin their match at 9 p.m. from the Bank of Colorado Arena. To follow along at home, live stats will be available through TrackWrestling.com.