Thrasher

Ginny Thrasher (right) is honored at Mountaineer Field.

The West Virginia University rifle team finished off the fall slate with two more wins on the road this past weekend.

On Saturday, WVU bested No. 10 Memphis, 4730- 4634, and beat No. 3 Murray State, 4742- 4703, setting a national record in scoring.

Against Memphis, the Mountaineers won both smallbore and air rifle with scores of 2349 and 2381, respectively.

Two Mountaineers won both of the individual events. Junior Ginny Thrasher is continuing her hot start with a 593 in smallbore, which matched her season-best in that event.

In air rifle, David Koenders shot a career high with a 598.

"David had his challenges today, but he's learned a lot and was able to come away with a strong performance,” said WVU head coach Jon Hammond.

Morgan Phillips took second place in smallbore shooting a career-high score of 590. Milica Babic finished in third place, scoring a 584.

The Mountaineers finished in the first seven spots in smallbore.

In air rifle, Babic finished in second place behind Koenders with a 597. Freshman Sarah Osborne shot a career-high 595, earning her a third place finish.

The following day, West Virginia traveled to Murray, Kentucky. WVU shot a 4742 aggregate score, which set a new NCAA record, breaking the one previously set by West Virginia on Jan. 17, 2016.

For the second time in as many days, West Virginia swept both events. Part of this was because WVU shot an NCAA record in smallbore with a 2356. The air rifle score was a 2386.

Leading the way in smallbore was Milica Babic. She shot a 591, a career high, to help the Mountaineers set a record.

"It was great to see Milica shoot a personal best and lead the way in smallbore," Hammond said.

In air rifle, Ginny Thrasher won with a score of 599, one point off of her career high. Elizabeth Gratz matched her season high with a 598 and taking second place. Koenders took third with a score of 595.

The combination of Babic, Gratz, Koenders, Thrasher and Phillips made up the Mountaineers score in both matches over the weekend.

West Virginia closes its fall schedule with an 8-0 record. The next time it will be in action is after the New Year on Jan. 14, when Akron travels to Morgantown.   

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.