wvu marshall score

The West Virginia University lacrosse team opened up the 2018 season with a 16-0 blowout win against in-state rival Marshall.

The Mountaineers rode to victory behind six goals in the first quarter.

Senior midfielder Jonathan Welsh led the team in points with five, two goals and three assists. Junior midfielder Paul Beljan scored a game-leading four goals.

"Our shooters were shooting," WVU coach Brian Houk said. "We had a real high shot percentage, we got a lot of shots-on-goal, we were winning faceoffs, ground balls. We were competing hard."

Freshman defensemen Jake Purdy got in the scoring action as well in the fourth quarter.

"When I saw my opportunity, I ran all the way down and I didn't want to pass," Purdy said.

Defensively, the Mountaineers held their opponent scoreless for the first time since 2014. Sophomore Nick Raynor had seven saves on the night.

"I was really impressed with the zero on the scoreboard instead of the 16," Purdy said. "Playing a shutout is way (more impressive). No matter who you play, getting a garbage goal is not that hard. The fact that is was zero was really impressive."

West Virginia returns to action on Friday in the first game of the inaugural Big 12 Shootout against Baylor.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).