wvu temple score

The WVU volleyball team swept Temple, 3-0, to pick up a win in the second round of the National Invitational Volleyball Championship.

With the win the, Mountaineers (20-12) made history as they clinched only their second 20-win season since 1991.

Payton Caffrey and Morgan Montgomery led West Virginia with 12 kills a piece. Natania Kevak added nine kills.

Emma Anderson led WVU with 34 assists and Gianna Gotterba led on defense with 13 digs.

Temple (20-10) opened up the first set with multiple 3-point leads, but the Mountaineers came out of a closely contested set, 25-23.

In the second set, West Virginia held the a slim advantage throughout the 38 serves, but closed out on a five-point scoring run to win, 25-18.

The Owls had no response as WVU dominated the third set, 25-12.

“I thought that was a very good win for us against a very good team,” WVU head coach Reed Sunahara. “Temple’s well coached. Bakeer (Ganesharathnam) is a great coach, but I thought we played well. After the first set, I thought we got a lot better. I thought we were lucky to win the first, but we played well enough to win, and I’m proud of our girls.”

The Mountaineers will now host the NIVC Quaterfinals on Monday at 6 p.m. in the Coliseum. The opponent will either be Colgate, Towson, Syracuse or Albany.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).