Babic rifle

Milica Babic peers down the sights of her rifle.

It was a busy weekend at the West Virginia Rifle Range.

The top-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers (6-0, 4-0 GARC) defeated No. 3 TCU, 4727-47-17, on Saturday, which was followed by a 4733-4640 victory over Army (1-4, 1-3 GARC) on Sunday.

"We had two solid matches this weekend," said WVU head coach Jon Hammond. "It's always a challenge to shoot back-to-back. We're getting near the end of the semester, and I'm satisfied with where we are.”

Against TCU, junior Ginny Thrasher shot a career-tying 599 in air rifle and a 593 in smallbore, winning both of the individual events.

Redshirt freshman David Koenders came in second place in smallbore, matching his career-high with his final mark being 588. Elizabeth Gratz tied Morgan Phillips for fifth place with 582, while Gratz tied the programs mark in the prone part of smallbore with a 200.

Sophomore Milica Babic shot a 578 and tied for 10th place in smallbore. Babic and Koenders tied for fifth place in air rifle with a score of 595.

Against Army on Sunday, WVU delivered a more convincing victory.

WVU shot a 2348 in smallbore, which is one shot better than its season-high.

There were also multiple individual accomplishments on Sunday. Thrasher won the individual air rifle title for the second time this weekend, doing so with a perfect 600. She has shot a 599 six times and was striving to shoot a 600.

"She has had a strong year so far,” Hammond said. “Ginny has shot so many 599s throughout her college career, and 600 was something she was trying to achieve.”

In addition to Thrasher’s perfect score in air rifle, Morgan Phillips was also setting career-highs. In smallbore, she shot a 590, earning her the individual title for that event on Sunday.

Thrasher finished in second place with a 589.

Babic finished fourth with 586 and Koenders finished sixth with 583.

Babic finished second in air rifle with a 599, tying her career-high. Koenders came in third with a score of 594.

“We've been going in the right direction this semester, and we'll take this onto the road with us next weekend,” Hammond said.

WVU’s next two matches are both on the road, traveling to Memphis on Nov. 11 and Murray State on Nov. 12.

Matt is a senior from Cleveland, Ohio majoring in journalism with a double minor in sport communication and sport and exercise psychology. With his time at the DA, he has covered women's tennis, the rifle team, women's soccer, and football.