For the fourth year in a row, the West Virginia University rifle team has finished the regular season undefeated by knocking off the defending national champion Kentucky Wildcats (11-1, 7-1 GARC).

In a rematch of the 2018 championship, the Mountaineers prevailed with a 4723-4678 victory. The Mountaineers won in both smallbore, 2346-2320 and air rifle, 2377-2358.

In smallbore, leading the way for the Mountaineers (13-0, 8-0 GARC) was David Koenders as he shot a 588 score and placed first. Sarah Osborn came in second-place with a 587 total. Morgan Phillips shot 586 for a fourth-place finish and Ginny Thrasher came in fifth-place with a 585 score. Hanna Carr of Kentucky was the highest finishing Wildcat as she came in third-place with a 587 total.

WVU’s Jared Eddy finished the individual smallbore competition in seventh-place with a 581 total. Verena Zaisberger and Milica Babic each shot 576 and finished in seventh-and-eighth-place respectively. Will Anti came in eleventh-place with a 575 total, and Noah Barker rounded out the Mountaineers in smallbore with a 574 total and a fourteenth-place finish.

In the air rifle category, WVU controlled the top of the leaderboards. Thrasher finished in first-place with 597, Koenders came in second-place with a 596 total, Zaisberger came in a third-place finish with a score of 595 and Babic finished in fourth-place with a 594 total. Hailee Sigmon of Kentucky (11-1, 7-1 GARC) came in fifth-place with a score of 593.

Osborn of WVU shot 590 for a sixth-place finish in air rifle while Phillips finished the round off for the Mountaineers with a ninth-place finish and a score of 588.

After another perfect season, the Mountaineers will have their eyes on a national championship, but will first have to participate in the NCAA Qualifying Match taking place on Feb. 16 in Morgantown.