XC Penn State

The 29th-ranked West Virginia cross country team wrapped up the 2017 regular season on Friday with an eighth-place finish at the Penn State National Open in State College, Pennsylvania.

WVU was led by senior Amy Cashin, who finished 11th overall with a time of 20:43. This was Cashin’s fastest 6k time on Penn State’s Blue and White Course.

Senior Maggie Drazba placed 20th with a time of 20:57 in her last regular season collegiate race. Freshman Haley Jackson nabbed 49th overall in a time of 21:28.

Sophomores Olivia Hill (21:46) and Candace Jones (21:47) came in right beside each other to finish 65th and 66th, respectively.

"Leaving Penn State, a course we know very well, we have mixed feelings," said WVU head coach Sean Cleary in an interview with WVUSports.com. "Some of the girls ran their career-best times and others are coming off little mishaps and are back in the game and running quite well for us. Overall, we want to be a little higher as a team. We need to be a little better than this in the next couple of weeks."

The Mountaineers finished with a 211-team score. Penn State, who is No. 10 in the country, won the meet with a score of 44. Villanova, ranked 15th, took second with 62 and Dartmouth followed in third with 122.

WVU is now looking ahead to Oct. 28, when it travels to Round Rock, Texas, for the Big 12 Championships. Cleary’s squad has finished third in the Big 12 Championships the past two seasons.

Further down the road, WVU travels to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on Nov. 10 for the Mid-Atlantic Regionals, where the team finished fourth a season ago.

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.