Silveira_WVUvNCState23

Sept. 14, 2019: Tight end Jovani Haskins sits on the sidelines during the WVU game against North Carolina State.

WVU football tight end Jovani Haskins pleaded guilty to reckless driving and fleeing from a police officer on Monday afternoon.

The guilty plea for fleeing has been deferred, and that charge will be dismissed if over the next year Haskins pays court costs, does 100 hours of community service and is not charged with the violation of another crime, according to court documents. He also must complete eight hours of a traffic safety course within the next 180 days.

For the reckless driving charge, Haskins must pay a fine of $500, plus court costs.

He had been charged with three misdemeanors for a July incident: reckless driving, fleeing from a WVU police officer and driving on the left side of the road. The last charge was dismissed. 

A criminal complaint alleges that, in the early morning of July 28, the Bergenfield, New Jersey, native was speeding and nearly struck a vehicle at the intersection of University Avenue and Campus Drive in Morgantown. 

Haskins, 21, allegedly continued along at a high rate of speed — despite activated emergency lights from a WVU Police Department patrol car — before pulling into the parking area at Metro Towers, emerging from the vehicle and running away.

“We are aware of the situation, and it will be handled appropriately and in accordance with West Virginia University’s policies and procedures surrounding student conduct,” WVU head coach Neal Brown said in an August team release.

Haskins was arraigned in Monongalia County Magistrate Court on Aug. 2.

In seven games this season, Haskins has caught three passes for 13 yards. He has only started in three games this season, most recently Oct. 5 against Texas.

The Daily Athenaeum was first to report Haskins' plea.

Cody Nespor, Jared Serre and Douglas Soule contributed to this report.

Editor in Chief

Douglas Soule is the editor-in-chief for the Daily Athenaeum. He previously served as assistant news editor at the Daily Athenaeum. He has interned at the Charleston Gazette-Mail, The Globe Post and the Daily Athenaeum. He is a senior at WVU.