B12 Texas Tech West Virginia Basketball

West Virginia's Jordan McCabe (5) shoots during the second half of the team's NCAA college basketball game against Texas Tech in the Big 12 men's tournament Thursday, March 14, 2019, in Kansas City, Mo. West Virginia won 79-74.

Despite a 20-loss season, the WVU men's basketball team's season will continue past the Big 12 Tournament.

The Mountaineers will host Grand Canyon in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game will be live streamed on wvusports.com.

This is West Virginia's first-ever appearance in the CBI as well as their first-ever with the Antelopes.

Grand Canyon enters the CBI with a record of 20-13, finishing third in the WAC and advancing clear through the to the conference final, losing to New Mexico State.

The 'Lopes also managed to play very competitive non-conference games against future NCAA teams Seton Hall and then-No. 6 Nevada.

WVU is 5-5 all-time against teams from the WAC.

The appearance marks the first time a team with 20 losses has reached the postseason without winning its conference tournament.

The Mountaineers are also among the first power teams to play in the CBI since 2015 (Colorado). DePaul, the other power team, is hosting Central Michigan in their own quadrant of the CBI.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).