The West Virginia men’s soccer team is in position to make their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2011.

The NCAA will announce the field on Monday afternoon and if the Mountaineers do hear their name called, it would be only the 13th NCAA Tournament appearance for WVU in program history.

West Virginia had the opportunity to automatically qualify for the NCAA Tournament after receiving the top seed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament, but the Mountaineers lost in the semifinals and will now have to hope for one of the 24 at-large bids of the 48 total teams selected.

As one of the at-large bids, though, WVU can still be one of the top 16 teams seeded who receive a first-round bye and then host their second round match at home.

What was looking like a true possibility is now in doubt, though.

Before the MAC Tournament, West Virginia was 14th in the RPI (rating percentage index), one of the key metrics used to rank teams for the NCAA Tournament. After their loss to Akron, though, WVU will fall in the rankings.

Akron is 40th in the RPI and was unlikely to reach the NCAA Tournament until their victory over Western Michigan in the MAC Tournament finals on Sunday afternoon.

Wherever the Mountaineers do land in the tournament, playing in the first round or having a bye, they will likely play a regionally close opponent in their first match.

Possible opponents could be conference tournament champions Georgetown, James Madison, Rhode Island or Furman.

West Virginia could also face possible at-large bids in NC State (28th in the RPI), Wright State (29) and UNCW (31).

If the Mountaineers were paired with UNCW in the NCAA Tournament, it would be a rematch of their Aug. 26 match which ended in a 1-0 victory for UNCW.

Before worrying who their first match will be against, though, WVU has to wait to learn if they will make the tournament at all.

The NCAA will reveal the tournament bracket Monday afternoon at 1 p.m. on their website.