The West Virginia gymnastics team picked up a pair of wins in its home opener on Sunday as they beat the George Washington Colonials and the Kent State Golden Flashes in a tri-meet.

WVU (8-2) posted a 194.925 score to come in first place in the meet, while Kent State came in second with a score of 194.45 and George Washington was third at 194.125.

The Mountaineers were successful early in the meet as they won the vault with a score of 48.875, their second-highest vault score of the season. WVU was led by senior Kirah Koshinski’s 9.90 average to defeat the Colonials and Golden Flashes in the event. 

Koshinski didn’t only help West Virginia in the vault, though, as she again posted a 9.90 average on the floor to lead the Mountaineers to victory.

West Virginia scored the highest total of any team in any event on the floor when they out-scored the Golden Flashes and Colonials 49.250-48.675 and 49.250-48.750, respectively. 

“Our floor lineup is amazing and nationally ranked,” WVU head coach Jason Butts said. “I knew we could make up some tenths on that event. They turned in some amazing performances – all six of them – to give us this win.”

Although the Mountaineers were able to secure victories on vault and floor, they were unable to win on bars or beams, both of which were won by Kent State.

WVU came in last for bars at 48.525, behind the Golden Flashes’ meet-leading 48.850 and the Colonials’ 48.625.

After their last-place finish on bars, though, the Mountaineers were able to make up some ground with a second-place finish on the beam.

Kent State won on the beam with a final score of 48.525, but West Virginia trailed with their score of 48.275.

Despite having a second and third-place finish, the Mountaineers were still able to pull out a pair of wins for the meet, and now prepare to continue their conference schedule. 

“Today was great,” Butts said. “We were a little tentative, which surprised me a bit, but once we got on a roll we got going. There were still some little mistakes, so we need to come out next weekend and not be as tentative. It’s always good to get the nerves out of the way and get a win at home.” 

West Virginia remains at home for their next meet, a tri-meet against Big 12 opponents Denver and Iowa State, which is set for 7 p.m on Saturday.