Sh'Nia Gordon charges toward the goal during WVU and St. Francis Women's Soccer.

Sh’Nia Gordon charges towards the goal during WVU’s win over St. Francis.

Coming off of a win against Boston University this past Thursday, the WVU women’s soccer team was able to sweep its homestand as it defeated Saint Francis, 2-0, on Sunday afternoon.

Right from the kickoff, WVU (4-2-3) came out aggressive. Despite not scoring in the first half, the Mountaineers were able to get off 15 shots—three of which were on goal.

The first score of the game came off of the foot of senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon in the 70th minute. The Mountaineers were able to add an insurance score not too much later as freshman forward Alina Stahl was able to connect with freshman forward Jordan Brewster for a goal.

The Red Flash (2-6-2) was unable to overcome the deficit and ultimately lost the match.

“You have to give a lot of credit to Saint Francis – they did everything they could to disrupt us,” Mountaineer coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said postgame. “At the end of the day, we’re going to take this win as we move into conference play.”

Outside of the two goals, many other Mountaineers contributed a strong offensive effort. Sophomore forward Lauren Segalla led the team with six total shots, while senior forward Hannah Abraham added five of her own. Three Mountaineer players (Gordon, Addison Clark and Grace Smith) tied to lead the team in shots on goal with two.

Defensively, junior goalkeeper Rylee Foster and the rest of the WVU defense was able to hold St. Francis to zero shots for the whole match. This is the second match in a row in which the opposing team did not get off a single shot.

This was the Mountaineer’s fourth defensive shutout of the season, as well as the team’s second consecutive shutout after holding Boston scoreless in WVU’s last match.

Up next, the Mountaineers open up Big 12 Conference play as they travel to Lubbock, Texas to take on the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Friday. In the last matchup between the two teams, they battled to a 1-1 draw in Morgantown.