katelyn evans wright st

Aug. 25, 2018; Katelyn Evans jumps to strike the ball against Wright State.

The Mountaineers took on the No. 24 Baylor Bears Saturday afternoon in the Coliseum for the team’s annual breast cancer awareness Pink Match. After holding a 2-0 lead in the match, they dropped the last three sets taking a loss to the Bears.

The Bears took an early lead in the first set. Right-side hitter Natania Levak and outside hitter Kristin Lux, put down early kills leaving WVU trailing by 2 (7-5). The Mountaineers used a pair of Baylor miscues to cut their deficit down to one.

Baylor increased their lead to 10-6, after putting down three straight points. Out of a WVU timeout, Katelyn Evans and Levak found the middle of the floor each putting down a kill, the Mountaineers trailed by two (10-8). The Bears went on another 3-0 scoring run to furthering their advantage (13-8). Evans put one through the pins to stop Baylor’s run (13-9).

The Mountaineers come within three after using a trio of Baylor miscues and a kill from Evans (19-16).  Evans put down her fourth kill of the afternoon, chipping away at the Bears lead. A big WVU block as well as a Baylor ball handling error brought the Mountaineers within one late in the set (22-21).

A kill from Levak tied the set up at 22. Two consecutive Baylor attacking errors brought WVU to set point. Levak slammed another one down giving the Mountaineers the the first set W (25-22). Levak and Evans each had four kills in the first set and Levak hit a team high .667.

The Mountaineers were hot in the beginning of the second set going on a 7-0 scoring run. Middle blocker Briana Lynch put down a pair of kills increasing their lead 9-1. West Virginia keeps the points rolling, Baylor trailing 15-6.

A ball handling error from the Bears put 20 on the board for the Mountaineers. A powerful kill from Evans brought WVU to set point. The Mountaineers dominated Baylor in the second set taking a 2-0 lead in the match.

Attempting to make a come-back, Baylor jumped out to a 5-3 lead in the third set. Another kill from Evans put the Mountaineers ahead 8-6. The Bears come within two but Lynch finds the back of the court increasing their lead to 14-11.

Baylor tied the set up at 14 and the two teams exchanged points in the middle of the third. The Bears scored back-to-back points and took a two-point lead 18-16. Evans finds the floor again tying up the set at 19. The set remained tied up at 21 after an ace from Baylor. The Bears reached set point at 24 off a kill. With a third-set victory, Baylor extended the match to a fourth-set, with WVU holding a 2-1 lead.

The beginning of the fourth-set was tied up at 3, until Kristina Jordan and Kirstin Lux each found the floor with a kill giving WVU a two-point advantage (6-4).  The Bears went on a 3-0 scoring run that was halted by a kill from Evans, tying up the set at 8. Evans slammed down another one giving WVU a one-point advantage and marked the beginning of a Mountaineer a 3-0 scoring run.

Levak and Jordan teamed up for a block putting WVU ahead by two (15-13). Lux increased their lead with a kill, Baylor down by three in the middle of the fourth-set.

Baylor, eager to tie up the match, went on a 4-0 scoring run for the one-point advantage (17-16). The Bears notched back-to-back kills increasing their advantage. Back-to-back kills from Evans tied up the set at 19. Baylor out down four in a row taking a 23-19 lead. A Baylor kill brought them to set point and they took the frame taking them match into a fifth-set. The match was tied up at 2 wins each.

Baylor takes the early one-point lead in the fifth set after kills from Lynch and Lux. The Bears held a one-point lead in the fifth-set until Lynch gets one over the net to tie the set up at seven. Levak and Lynch put two through the pins to bring WVU within one (11-10).

Baylor reached set point off a kill at 14-13 but Mountaineers weren’t done yet. WVU tied the set at 14 off a Baylor attacking error. The Mountaineers took a one-point lead off a BU handling error. Baylor took a 17-15 lead in the set, winning the fifth-set and collecting the match victory 3-2.

Up next for the Mountaineers, they will take on their first five-day Big 12 road trip of the season as they take on TCU on October 18th and Oklahoma on October 20th.