wvu sru score

CRANBERRY TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- The West Virginia hockey club returned to conference play with a 5-3 win over Slippery Rock on the road.

The Mountaineers (9-9-3, 3-5-2 CHMA) scored four of five goals in the first period to pick up their first win of the spring semester.

JP Sawyer struck first at the 18:47 mark in the first period to put WVU up 1-0 early.

Frankis Gerbasi followed up with a goal with 15:23 left in the first period and David Polaski had a goal of his own exactly two minutes later to give the Mountaineers a commanding 3-0 lead.

Connor Scott answered for the Pride (15-12-0, 5-3-0) to close off the first period with a 3-1 WVU advantage.

Max Hedges scored the Mountaineers' final goal with 14:51 left in the second period.

Slippery Rock would rattle off three goals to finish off the game, but couldn't complete the comeback. They outshot WVU 43-26.

The Mountaineers return to action on Fri., Jan. 26 as they continue conference play at John Carroll. The Blue Streaks beat the Mountaineers, 6-4, in Morgantown on Dec. 2.

In addition to being a sports writer for the DA, John is a freelance reporter for the Associated Press and the Dominion Post. John is also a writer and editor at the Smoking Musket (WVU's SB Nation community).