The West Virginia women’s basketball team continued its Big 12 winning streak Sunday evening with a 71-50 win over Kansas.

The Mountaineers (16-5, 6-3 Big 12) came out energized in the first quarter, taking a 25-13 lead, only working from behind for 21 seconds. The key for the Mountaineers in the first quarter was their ability to control the paint, outscoring Kansas 12-2 down low.

The Mountaineers looked slow in the second quarter as the Jayhawks came out on a 10-2 run, outscoring the Mountaineers by a score of 16-11. Leading at the half by only single digits (36-29) and having all starters playing more than 14 of the 20 first-half minutes, West Virginia started to get back on track, taking the third quarter by a score of 20-15.

During the fourth quarter, the Mountaineers returned to the overwhelming play style seen the first quarter, outscoring the Jayhawks (12-8, 2-7) by a score of 15-6.

The Mountaineers’ biggest advantage was rebounding, grabbing 18 more rebounds than the Jayhawks. The other big advantage for the team was its free throw shooting, as the Mountaineers hit 75 percent of 31 shots from the line for the game.

Like most of the season, the Mountaineers lacked depth, playing only eight players. Of those eight players, four played 34 or more minutes.

Madisen Smith played a complete 40 minutes while Tynice Martin played 36 minutes in a game that was cut short by a minor injury that took her out for the last four minutes.

“I think your body gets conditioned to how many minutes you normally play, and that's the mentality they have to have,” WVU head coach Mike Carey said.

Going into the game, Tynice Martin was averaging the most points for the Mountaineers with 17.7 points per game. Her offensive dominance continued as she added 22 more points in 36 minutes.

“Well, she’s really good,” Kansas head coach Brandon Schneider said. “It’d be a shame if someone didn’t pick her in the first round.”

The Mountaineers look to continue their streak next weekend as they travel to Iowa State on Saturday.