The WVU Career & Internship Fair is being held tomorrow, February 17 & Thursday, February 18 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Blue and Gold Ballrooms, located on the second floor of the Mountainlair.

Attending a career fair, especially when it’s only a day away, can seem a bit overwhelming. But with the help of this 24 hour career fair countdown checklist, you will be prepared to take full advantage of this opportunity and achieve career fair success.

24 hours Before the Career Fair

• Craft and practice your elevator pitch that summarizes your education, skills, career plans, and area of interest (e.g., a full-time job or an internship) in approximately 30 to 60 seconds.
  • Identify your “Target Employers” that you know you want to visit. Research them on MountaineerTRAK, and visit their websites.
  • Prepare a well-written resume. View sample resumes on our website at http://careerservices.wvu.edu/students/build-a-resume.
  • Create a list of 3-5 questions to ask employers. Have a question for them that shows you’ve done some research and are truly interested.

12 hours Before the Career Fair

• Pick out a professional outfit to wear to the career fair. Make sure it is clean, conservative, and ironed.
  • Get enough sleep before the fair to be physically at your best.

3 hours Before the Career Fair

• Eat before the fair as low blood sugar can make you feel sluggish and unfocused.
  • Dress professionally, be clean, and wear very little (or no) perfume/cologne.
  • Print multiple copies of your resume. Use a briefcase or binder to organize them.

At the Career Fair

• Take a moment to plan your course of action by reviewing the map of employer locations that is provided when you arrive at the fair.
  • Before approaching a booth, take a deep breath, offer a firm handshake, make direct eye contact with the recruiter, and be aware of the speed, tone and volume of your speech.
  • Have your elevator pitch, questions, and a copy of your resume ready for the recruiter.
  • Listen carefully to what the recruiter has to say so that you can match your skills and interests to those required by the organization.
  • Make sure to thank the recruiter for their time.

After the Career Fair

• Give yourself the competitive edge by sending a thank you note or email that evening to the recruiters from your target companies—even if the recruiter currently does not have jobs of interest to you.
  • Comply with their application instructions. If required, fill out the company application online; this could be a weeding out process.
  • Continue to nurture your professional network.

WVU Career Services provides several opportunities for students to meet with potential employers throughout the year. Stay informed about upcoming events by following Career Services on Twitter

@wvucareerserv. For more information about the career fair, visit our website at http://careerservices.wvu.edu.