The WVU Career & Internship Fair is being held Wednesday, February 17 & Thursday, February 18 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the Blue and Gold Ballrooms, located on the second floor of the Mountainlair.

Career fairs present students with the unique chance to test their networking skills as they meet face-to-face with potential employers, distribute their resumes and gather information about which companies are hiring and interested in their specific set of skills.

The WVU Career & Internship Fair, organized by the WVU Career Services Center and sponsored by the U.S. Army, will bring together over 130 nationwide employers from diverse industries, non-profits, government and military branches. Employers attending the fair include Mylan, Home Depot, Target, PepsiCo, Volvo, Coca-Cola, Peace Corps, WVU Healthcare and Bechtel. Students can logon to MountaineerTRAK at www.myinterfase.com/wvu/student for a complete list of employers attending both days, as well as details about each organization, their job categories and position types.

Attending a career fair for the first time can seem intimidating, but with the help of this career fair countdown checklist, you will be prepared to take full advantage of this opportunity and achieve career fair success.

2 Weeks Before the Career Fair

Craft and practice your elevator pitch that summarizes your education, skills, career plans and area of interest (e.g., a full-time job or an internship) in approximately 30 to 60 seconds.

Prepare a well-written resume. Draft your resume, then request to have it reviewed by a career counselor by calling 304-293-2221 or emailing careerservices@mail.wvu.edu.

1 Week Before the Career Fair

Identify your “Target Employers” that you know you want to visit. Research them on MountaineerTRAK, and visit their websites for additional information.

Create a list of 3-5 questions to ask employers. Have a question for them that shows you’ve done some research and are truly interested.

1 Day Before the Career Fair

Pick out a professional outfit to wear to the career fair. Make sure it is clean, conservative and ironed.

Print multiple copies of your resume. Use a briefcase or binder to organize them.

Get enough sleep to be at your best.

3 hours Before the Career Fair

Eat before the fair as low blood sugar can make you feel sluggish and unfocused.

Dress professionally, be clean, and wear very little (or no) perfume/cologne.

At the Career Fair

Have your elevator pitch, questions, and a copy of your resume ready for the recruiter.

Listen carefully to what the recruiter has to say so that you can match your skills and interests to those required by the organization.

Make sure to thank the recruiter for their time.

The WVU Career & Internship Fair is free and open to University students of all majors and ranks. All students are advised to bring several copies of their resumes, and professional attire is required.

WVU Career Services provides several opportunities for students to meet with potential employers throughout the year. Stay informed about upcoming events by following Career Services on Twitter @wvucareerserv. For more about career fair preparation, visit Career Services in the Mountainlair Monday–Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. or visit our website at careerservices.wvu.edu.