Break out your lederhosen and brush up on your German – we’re going to Oktoberfest! No, not in Munich… Right here in Morgantown! At Mario’s Fishbowl!

So what is Oktoberfest, exactly? In Germany, Oktoberfest is the world’s largest “Volksfest”, or beer-drinking festival. That’s right, an entire festival dedicated to drinking beer. Each year, over six million people from around the world gather in Munich to participate in the 16-day event. This important Bavarian cultural event has been going on every year since 1810, and Mario’s Fishbowl has decided to honor this tradition by hosting their own version here in Morgantown.

This weekend marks the second year of the Fishbowl’s annual Oktoberfest. Last year, over 800 people flooded the parking lot behind their Suncrest location to partake in all sorts of German fun. Due to the first festival’s success, they have expanded the event to take place over two days. This year, over 1000 people are expected to show.

In spirit of the festival, Mario’s will be serving Hofbrau and Hoegaarden, two beers certain to convince you that you’re in the heart of Bavaria. For those who like to stick to domestic brews, Mario’s will also be serving Yuengling’s seasonal Oktoberfest along with Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Angry Orchard. If beer isn’t your thing, fret not! The festival will also give you the chance to try some famous German Riesling. This white wine dates back to the early 15th century, but remains the most popular wine to come out of Germany

What festival is complete without the music? Here you’ll have the chance to experience some traditional German music from ‘The Mad Bavarian’ and ‘The Augsburg German Band’. You’ll also get to hear some of the local talent. ‘The Greens’ and ‘The Soul Miners’ are two classic Morgantown bands that never fail to put on a great show.

The festival is happening this weekend, October 1st – October 2nd , rain or shine. On Saturday, the festivities will begin at 12p.m. and run to 11p.m. On Saturday, it opens at 1p.m. and closes up at 7:30p.m. Kids 5 and under receive free admittance, and kids 6-16 are only $5. Adult tickets are $15, and comes with a Mario’s Fishbowl goblet for you to fill with the beer of your choosing. The lower level will be open with its full liquor bar, and big screen TV so you don’t miss the WVU football game.

Whether you’re competing in the Pretzel eating contest, or sipping your Hofbrau in the Beer Garden, you’re guaranteed to have a good time at Oktoberfest. This is going to be one legendary party you won’t want to miss.

Sponsored by: Mario’s Fishbowl